Associated Food Stores Through the Years

Donald P. Lloyd

1945

Associated Food Stores served 87 members in Utah and Nevada

Associated Food Stores partnered with Royal Canning Company of Utah to provide canned fruits and vegetables to retailers.

1946

The Pocatello Warehouse opened.

1950

The Helena, Montana Warehouse opened.  

Associated Food Stores became the first Intermountain food merchant to use television advertising. 

1951

Associated Food Stores sponsored Utah Symphony Youth Concerts.  

The Salt Lake Warehouse was expanded to include a dock with railroad siding. 

Fresh Produce Department Was Added

1953

A Non-Foods department was added, carrying toothpaste and razor blades. 

1955

The Frozen Food department was added. 

1959

Associated Food Stores serviced 380 retailers, 42 had multiple stores. 

Meat and Bakery departments were added. 

The Pocatello and Salt Lake Warehouses were expanded. 

1961

The Frozen Foods Warehouse was built in Salt Lake City.  

Associated Food Stores and Dependable Wholesale merged, bringing more than 100 stores to Associated Food Stores.  

1963

A 75,000 square foot warehouse was built in Helena, Montana 
Associated Food Stores Old Logo

1966

Associated Food Stores merged with San Francisco Grocery to create the California Division. 

Western Family Corporation was established as Associated Food Stores first exclusive brand. 

1968

A full-scale sign and print shop was added to the advertising department. 

1970

Associated Food Stores served 845 stores. 

The Thriftway, Foodtown and Bestway ad groups were created. 

1972

Donald P. Lloyd retired. Gill Warner became President and CEO of Associated Food Stores.  

The Billings, Montana division opened.  

The Billings, Montana Division Opened

1983

The Scanning Department started. 

1984

A new warehouse was built in Salt Lake to accommodate general merchandise, insurance and store engineering. 

1985

Associated Food Stores serviced 700 stores. 

A 27-bay truck garage and IMC terminal was added to the Salt Lake Warehouse. 

1988

The first trade show was held for the Salt Lake and Pocatello divisions. 

1989

Associated Food Stores entered the Las Vegas market for the first time with three Food Giant stores.

1994

Gill Warner retired and Richard Parkinson assumed the role of President and CEO of Associated Food Stores.

The Associated Food Stores general office was built in Salt Lake. 

1996

Category Management was established to determine and procure the products retailers wanted most. 

1999

Macey’s became Associated Food Stores’ first corporate-owned store. Lin’s, Dan’s, Dicks and Fresh Market soon followed.  
Distribution - Farr West

2008

The Farr West Distribution Center was expanded by 56,000 square feet. 

2009

Fresh Market stores opened in Utah 

2012

The Rewards department opened, allowing retailers to offer loyalty programs to shoppers.  

2013

Associated Food Stores expanded its exclusive brands offerings to include: Western Family, Full Circle, Chuck Wagon dog food, @ease, Wide Awake Coffee, Aura, b-leve, Tippy Toes,  Buckley Farms and Boulder Burger.  

2014

Associated Food Stores partnered with Rosie, an e-commerce company, to bring online shopping and delivery to retailers. 

2015

Red Button Vintage Creamery, Birchberry Bistro and Beehive Bread were introduced as our newest exclusive brands.

2017

Associated Food Stores implemented Skip checkout in several stores, allowing guests to checkout as they shop and skip the check stand.