For the upcoming flu season, the influenza vaccine will be critical to reducing the impact of respiratory illness in our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. You will be receiving a series of emails created to help provide accurate information about the flu and why getting a flu vaccine each year is important.
The symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu are very similar and can include symptoms such as:
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle pain or body aches
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults
Difference between COVID-19 and Flu
Both COVID-19 and the flu have similar symptoms and are spread in similar ways.
- Both can be transmitted through person to person contact or droplets from coughing, sneezing or talking.
- Both can be transmitted by someone who isn’t showing signs of being sick or experiencing any symptoms
- Both can live on surfaces or in the air for extended periods of time.
- COVID-19 and Influenza are different types of viruses that can cause similar symptoms in humans.
- The Influenza virus is not airborne, meaning it does not live in the air for a certain amount of time.
- The flu spreads faster than COVID-19 and symptoms appear sooner. Flu symptoms become visible within 1-4 days while COVID-19 can take up to 14 days.
- COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu. The mortality rate for the flu is less than 1% of people infected while COVID-19 has a mortality rate of 4%-6% of people infected.
- And the most important difference is – there is a vaccine to prevent the flu!
What does all this mean?
Because we don’t currently have a way to prevent COVID-19 outside of social distancing, practicing good hygiene and disinfecting commonly used surfaces, it is highly recommended everyone get a flu vaccine this year.
Our team’s health and well-being are our top priority and we want to make sure you have access to everything you need to stay safe. The flu vaccine is free to you and your family as a preventative measure. All 38 corporate store locations, outside of Dick’s Bountiful, have pharmacies with extended hours to get you vaccinated at a time that is convenient for you.